Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Health Check

Today was my health check. I've heard and read the stories. It's usually a very awkward experience. I went with Jennifer, the other new arrival. She's from B.C, Canada. The health check consists of a basic check (height, weight, hearing, vision, etc), an ECG, a chest X-ray, a blood test (to check for HIV), and a pee test. Yeah. It's a lot.

The basic test went well, except apparently, I can't hear. What?? Exactly. I blame it on spending much of my trip not being able to hear out of my right ear because it was popped. Next, I talked to a doctor, who asked about previous medical history, etc. He told me, in near perfect English (good accent too) that he didn't "speak English well" so he asked me to speak slowly. I communicated by pantomiming and speaking slowly. I hope people don't find that insulting; I do that in English too. That is, I pantomime things even when we speak the same language. That's why I'm a badass Cranium/Charades player. Lots o' practice.

The ECG is to test the heart; my internet is spotty otherwise I'd look it up and tell you exactly what it is. It was slightly awkward but funny. I had to lift my shirt and bra and she attached suction cup things all over my chest. It made really funny noises.

The only really awkward part was when they told Jennifer and I to go to the same room to undress for our chest exam. Um... Nice to meet you, let's get naked. While that could actually work as a pick up line, it's a little weird when you've just met and there are mirrors at each end of the room.

So, hopefully I pass. I'm a little worried because I peeked a glance at my ECG and it said "abnormal". That's okay, right?

LATER THAT DAY

I ate Korean food! At a restaurant! With chopsticks! (Well, I tried anyway. They're metal here; it's hard.) We sat cross-legged on mats on the floor at a low table and ate Bibimbap which means "mixed rice". It's a bunch of rice with vegetables (I think they were vegetables anyway) and an egg. You mix it all together add some sauce and a red (spicy) sauce and mix it together again and eat. We had soup and there were 4 dishes of I-have-no-idea-what that everyone shares. Oh, wait, one dish was kimchi.

Honestly, I have no idea what I ate. The bibimbap was rice with some green vegetable that reminded me of avacado and cucumber, these brown things I'm pretty sure were steamed twigs, bean sprouts, and other things I can't remember. I can be a pretty picky eater, but I also love food. And hadn't eaten since the night before. So I just ate. Well I drew the line at mushrooms. But it was SO good. Really. Twigs and all. And a little spicy but I ate the entire bowl.

One of the 4 plates in the middle was a mostly clear, jello consistancy food. I have NO IDEA; does anyone? I tried everything, well, except the mushrooms.

Anyway, it was all delicious and I can't wait to try more good Korean food.

1 comment:

  1. I think the mostly clear, gelatin food was probably mung beans...pretty tasteless? I guess they make gelatin out of it here. Not my favorite, but not terrible!

    ReplyDelete