Saturday, June 5, 2010

Week One: Done!


Last night, to celebrate the great fact that the first week of teaching was officially OVER, the other new teachers and I went to Insadong for some dinner and drinks. Insadong is really neat. It's a street full of vendors and shops and art galleries and little boutiques and coffee shops and bars. It was very vibrant and sort of reminded me of downtown Austin or S. Congress because of all the nifty shops I knew I could spend hours in.

Helena and I fell behind the others because I kept stopping for pictures. Hey, I felt the need to be touristy. And I had the urge to update my blog properly. Hey, I know your eyes glaze over at about paragraph 3. Pictures help keep it interesting and you can actually SEE what I'm talking about.

We went to a restaurant/bar where they offered free fortune telling. Let me tell you, I was a little excited about this because I've secretly (or not so secretly) always wanted to have my fortune told. UnFORTUNEately (get it? I even did it in all-caps, so I'm sure you did and didn't appreciate it), because of the time difference and the fact that we're a day ahead, don't observe Daylight savings, etc, they weren't able to tell me mine. They did tell Helena her fortune. She was really funny. She was really excited when she found out my birthday and sign. We're the same sign and the same blood type. "We're such good people!" she said.

Oh, I know.

We went to a traditional Korean bar and ordered Korean "pizza" and spicy squid and veggies. We also had rice wine. I'd tried it before but I liked it this time because it was very cold. We drank it in tin bowls. I felt a little like Oliver Twist. Unfortunately, it gave me a headache so I don't think I'll have any more.


Coffee shop. I just liked the cup on the outside. And the open windows and flower pots. A lot of places were like that. I took lots of pictures.



The new teachers: Soo, Helena, Me, and Jennifer.

First week, check. Second week, bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment