Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Red Devils and other stories

The year: 2010. It was a dark, humid morning. We met at 2:30, bleary-eyed in our red shirts and backpacks. There were three of us. We caught a cab and headed to City Hall where were greeted by an alarming sight: a sea of glowing devil horns. Ok, I fail at trying to make this sinister and intruiging. We went to City Hall for the 3:00 am S. Korea vs. Nigeria.

It was a little crazy, not gonna lie. Trying to manuver through a sea of seated people is not an easy task. I was last in line and was stopped by a group of girls who wouldn't let me pass without taking off my shoes because they didn't want me to step on their mat. I tried to backtrack but there was no place left to go. So, I took off my shoes and made it through. Squeezing through crowds was a little easier, because a) everyone was standing and b) I was behind Sean, a tall Canadian; the crowds parted for him. Or he made them part, I'm not entirely sure which but it's nice when trying to get through.

We tried to walk through another batch of seated people; we didn't make many friends by doing that. Someone punched my backpack. I felt bad, but this is a sports game, aren't we supposed to be standing and cheering? Apparently not. The only time people stood was for the national anthem and when Korea scored a goal. We walked until we couldn't go any further and then we just had to sit where we had been standing. People made room for us and we squeezed in. I sat in something wet and put my hand in something crunchy and sticky, but I preferred not to think about it too much.

Other than that little adventure, the game was great. There was a lot of cheering. And when Korea scored their first goal, we were all jumping up and yelling. The guy in front of my gave me a high five. Woo! It was fun. And then we walked to the subway, in the early morning light, and went home. To get some sleep before work.

This didn't turn out quite as planned. I was trying to capture how focused people were on the game. The guy on his friend's shoulder was a great picture of how intense this is.

No comments:

Post a Comment