Sunday, August 8, 2010

Summer Vacation!

Finally! My awesomesummervacation/Jeju post. Everyone has been asking about my trip and it's hard to explain such awesome-ness so I'm going to blog about it and include pictures and hope that explains it much better.

Day One - Arrived in Jeju City. First thought: Palm trees!

The flight is about an hour long. You go up, you come down, that's pretty much it. We decided to tackle Loveland first. Finding a bus to take us there was a bit of a challenge but we did and it dropped us off in what felt like the middle of nowhere. And that was bus service the rest of our trip. It takes a long time to get places because every bus is a local bus and stops about every 50 yards (that's what it felt like, ok?) and once you're 'there' you usually have to walk a little to be exactly where you want to go. If you decide to go to Loveland, go at night. It was interesting, but not as exciting (for lack of a better word) as I thought it would be. Here are the G-rated pictures.



Aw. Hearts at the beginning.



I don't understand the pig but he was cute so I took his picture.




This is my favorite picture of my entire trip.

These pictures don't do Loveland justice but it's a little embarrassing to put the pictures up where your family reads your blog. Instead I'm going to post them on facebook (where more of my family has access. Score). After Loveland we headed to Seogwipo (on the south point of the island) where we were staying. After a bit of confusion, we found our hostel: Jeju Hiking Inn.

The owner was a friendly guy who told us all about the area and how to get around. It was five minutes from the waterfalls, had a rooftop where we could go hang out, and it was cheap.

The number, in case you need a place to stay.

Up the street.

Down the street.

Our room. We had our own bathroom, fridge, a/c, and flat screen tv (it only played CNN; I'm not complaining). It was pretty nice considering we spent about $13/night.

And then there was our view from our room.

It was pretty nice.

Our first meal. Korea is all about the side dishes. This wasn't the main meal; this was all the side dishes that you get before your meal to eat then or with your meal. It was amazing. They covered the entire table!

More pictures of Seogwipo, the city where we stayed. It is right on the coast and everyday we had a view of the bridge and the water. There were boats lined up in the harbor. It wasn't what I imagined only because I came to Jeju Island imagining Hawaii. "It's Korea's Hawaii" I was told. But, "It's Korea with a makeover," is more apt. It's Korea with trees and ocean and colorful blue, green, and orange rooftops. And I didn't find this out that first day, but it's lush. Lush and luscious and it isn't until you say those words standing in a jungle that you realize that they sound exactly like what they are. Say it. Lush.


The light is so bright and gorgeous.

These little old men statues made out of volcanic rocks are all over the island. No one knows why.


We went to the waterfalls near our hostel.



They were fascinated by something. A snail I think. There were little creatures along the path to the waterfalls. We even saw a crab! It was so cute and looked like it was dancing because it walked sideways. To the right, to the right, to the right, to the right, to the left, to the left, to the left, to the left....

These were my travel mates: CM, KS, Tex, and Crutches. Yeah, he was on crutches the entire trip. I sort of felt bad for him because he had to lug around his crutches and sometimes we had to leave him behind, but on the other hand, I was super impressed by how well he kept up and how much he did.

At the falls. We are awesome, I know.

Seogwipo.

The bridge lights up and changes colors at night.

Summer vacation rocked!

/End day one. Stay tuned for Day Two.

No comments:

Post a Comment