Sunday, August 8, 2010

Mud Festival (July 17-18)

There are no pictures documenting the event, but some things need to be mentioned so that this memorable weekend can be understood. The location was Boryeong. Imagine now, more weiguks (foreigners) all in one place than you've ever seen in Korea. Add inflatable slides, an inflatable obstacle course, a beach, a mud pit, and paintbrushes. Then add mud. Then add way more mud. Then add people fighting in it, sliding through it, and slathering themselves in mud. People would walk past in various shades of dried mud - green, red, blue. One girl told me I looked like I was from Avatar because I dried blue.

I walked up to a painting boot and started to paint mud on myself, when an older Korean woman (who worked there) came over and painted my entire body for me. She got mud everywhere, even behind my ears! I let the mud dry before washing myself off in the ocean. You can understand why pigs roll in it; it's cool on a hot day and this mud is actually good for your skin. It was great, dirty fun.

The bus trip there and back, however, is another story. Imagine a frat boy party bus with karaoke at 7am. And obnoxious frat boys (we've met the nicest ones, I know they're out there) who ask you why you aren't having a good time while they sing bad Backstreet Boys before you've even had breakfast. The only good that came from that is a) I've found out who I don't want to hang out with in Korea and b) we bonded over frat boy karaoke.

It was a good weekend and my first trip out of Seoul, which was really nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment