Saturday, October 16, 2010

Where walking takes you

Last night I went for a walk. Not so strange, you'd think. You live in Texas or Virginia and you can go right outside and take a walk yourself. But last night, I took a right instead of a left and ended up walking down a street to a part of Gusan (my neighborhood) that I've never been to. Most places were closed but there were still a few shops open and a few people out and about. It was just after midnight. This is why Seoul is my city. I can go out, in the middle of the night and not fear for my safety. And things are still open. Life does not shut down because the clock struck midnight.

The walk itself was nice but it was also nice to see something new. And it was kind of sad. How is that I think I'm a great adventurer and explorer of things when I haven't even completely explored the area?

I like being here. I never thought that I would be here. I never imagined myself here. Never saw myself walking down these Seoul streets. And yet a part of me feels like I'm settling in. Like I belong. Four months in and I knew I wanted to go back home, but five months in and I can see myself coming back. This feeling is fleeting, though. It comes and it goes. I only mention it because it hit so hard last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment