Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Flower shop

I just had the best interaction with a flowershop keeper and his wife. There's a cute little flowershop around the corner from me that I have been eyeing for several months now. I just haven't had the courage to go in. In a place that small I feel that you're there to buy, not just to browse. Today I had to go in for my Treasures science class. We're learning about seeds and I thought we should plant some as well. So I was on a mission. Find seeds and soil before work.

I went in and in my pretty much non-existant Korean and his much better English, I explained that I needed soil. Soil, he got. When I tried to ask for seeds (in English), we hit our road block. Seeds. He asked me to write it down. So I did. Then I tried drawing a seed with an arrow pointing to a flower. Seed. I tried pantomiming planting a seed and it growing into a flower, but my charades skills failed me. He asked his wife. He wrote it out for her. Seeds. I wish I had asked someone to write it down in Korean for me. I wish I knew enough Korean to say it myself. He finally looked it up in the dictionary and said, "Ohhh!" and said it in Korean, which I've since forgotten. "Seeds!" And then he laughed. And then he showed me many packets of seeds, which were tucked away in a drawer. He took my drawing over to his wife and laughed some more. But it wasn't unkind.

I walked out with a small bag of soil and 2 packets of seeds for KW 2,500! Not only was it an interesting experience, trying to communicate, it was inexpensive as well. I've wanted to buy plants for awhile now, and now that I know a great place, I'm in!

No comments:

Post a Comment