Friday, July 9, 2010

In class

Let's talk about teaching. I love it, it drives me mad, there are classes I dread and students I love. Problem classes I'm learning to do more with, so we never have an awkward transition time for them to act out. It's slow going, but I think it's getting better. Some days I just have to go in and tell myself "Be positive!" It usually works.

Today, I wrote on the board "Should Susan teacher exercise everyday?" to make a "should" statement. Yes, I heard one little girl say, and diet. Oh, I could be insulted except that it's true. But they told me I looked like a grandmother! Which, yes, totally hurt my feelings! Because I have lines. Um, how do you think I make weird faces at you, children? That's what these lines are from; making faces. Amazing, expressive faces.

Or so I keep telling myself. Hah. Anyway, tomorrow is Friday and I only have 5 classes because one of my classes is a MW class; score! But I have grading and report cards to work on. All the extras that go with teaching that you sometimes forget about. But it's still interesting and I'm always learning new ways of doing things and finding out what works and what doesn't. That's what I like about this job, it's sort of a work in progress. You can always change, bring in new ideas, kick bad ideas to the curb... It's pretty rad.

1 comment:

  1. I love your amazing, expressive faces. That's what makes a Skype call with you so interesting. You have the most wonderful rubbery face.

    Anway, what do those kids know about what grandmothers look like? Don't take it personally (or hard). Actually, my kids tell me I look like a grandmother (and maybe I should really be one--age-appropiate condition, methinks!) Ahem....

    ReplyDelete